Monday, January 5, 2009

Sloppy José



In the manager's specials bin this morning I found a 12 oz. package of thin-sliced round steak. It would be suitable for Milanesa (pounded, dredged, egged, crumbed and fried meat), but I had in mind a savory beef mince.

I had no onion and substituted scallions. My larder perpetually has Mexican oregano, cumin, and red pepper flakes in it. We were out of garlic and I used some onion powder. I think garlic would be better.

All in all this tasted terrific. You could serve this as tacos (as in the picture). We made flour tortilla wraps with it.

Sloppy José
12 oz beef strips, chopped in food processor
1 tbsp olive oil
3 scallions, chopped (use all of them)
2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
1 tsp Mexican oregano
1 tsp Cumin
1 tsp red pepper flakes
¼ cup chicken broth
salt
lettuce
Swiss cheese, or other cheese

Put the beef in a food processor and pulse 5-6 times until you achieve a rough chop. Don't grind it up until it's like burger beef. Leave some significant texture to it.

Heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add scallions and garlic. Cook 1 minute, stirring often.

Add beef. Brown thoroughly until most of the liquid is gone.

Add oregano, cumin, and red pepper. Fry for 1 minute or until fragrant.

Add broth. Cook until liquid is gone. Remove from heat.

Serve as tortilla rollups with lettuce and Swiss cheese.

For a free excerpt of my book, “A Year of Food,” in which I opine, report, cook, muse and philosophize about everything that passed my lips for an entire year, write to me at: scrout1944@msn.com.

No comments:

Tuesday Tag-Along

Tuesday Tag-Along

Foodie BlogRoll

Followers