Thursday, September 17, 2009

Trout rillettes







I ran into the word “rillettes” recently, don’t remember where. After looking it up I had to run directly to my fish monger and get some trout. According to the definition of rillettes it is most frequently made with pork, but versions with chicken and seafood are not uncommon. Basically this is a sort of pate.

I found 4 or 5 recipes via Google that I more or less cherry picked from to make this lovely pate with just a few ingredients and with the flavors I knew I would most like.

As it happens, we have had these little ramekins for years. I do not remember ever having used them, but Peter tells me I have, though quite some years ago. You can put the trout in any glass container.

Trout rillettes
12 oz. trout filets
3 tbsp butter
salt and pepper to taste
2 tbsp scallion, chopped
1 tbsp parsley, chopped
2 scallions, white and green parts, finely chopped
juice of ½ lemon
liquid smoke
bacon fat or additional butter
cucumber slices (optional)


Preheat the oven to 350°.

Place the trout on a small baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and dot with 1 tbsp of the butter. Bake for 10-12 minutes until opaque throughout. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.

Remove the skin from the trout and put it in a food processor with all remaining ingredients. Process until smooth.

Taste and add any of the seasonings until it suits to your taste. Put in ramekins or a glass bowl. Top with bacon fat or melted butter, just enough to cover the surface of the pate. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight.

Serve on toast points garnished with cucumber (as in the picture) if you wish.

No comments:

Tuesday Tag-Along

Tuesday Tag-Along

Foodie BlogRoll

Followers