Friday, November 19, 2010

Haiku ham and rice

A dangerous theme has developed here. I used to write haiku a lot. I used to write limericks a lot. I love doggerel (and dogs). I just had to look over my shoulder to see where Scooper (the King Charles Spaniel) was. He’s sacked out on a papasan chair next to me. He’s adjusting to the time change. It’s so dark by the time we finish dinner and do the dishes that his interest in an evening walk has waned. I take him out anyway – he just needs it at the age of 12+. But enough about him. Back to me.

I love those slices of ham you can find in every supermarket. You know, the oval ones with the little round bone in the middle. That’s the inspiration today.

Sometimes I just dream stuff up. It usually doesn’t result in a nightmare. In this case something unusual happened: the resulting repast tasted exactly the way I had imagined it.The onset of fall weather has me in a comfort food mode. Time for poetry.

Ham slice in baked rice
As leaves drop and wind is chilled
Eat well - take comfort



Haiku ham and rice
1 tbsp olive oil
½ medium onion, cut into half moons
1 green bell pepper, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
black pepper
pinch salt
pinch black pepper
½ tsp each garlic powder and onion powder (or to taste)
1 slice ham, bone and excess fat trimmed away, otherwise left whole
1 cup white rice
2 cups chicken stock

Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan. Add onion, green pepper, garlic and onion powders, pinch salt and pinch black pepper. Saute just until the onion and pepper begin to soften, 3-4 minutes.



Add the rice and stir to coat with the contents of the pan. Lay the ham slice on top. Add the stock. Bring to a boil. Lower the heat to a slow simmer. Cover and took 20-25 minutes until all the liquid has been absorbed. Serve with an additional vegetable.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm lovin' the Haiku series!! We don't eat a lot of ham, but I do love those slices too! This sounds really really good!

Chris said...

This reminds me that Alexis wants me to smoke a ham. This will give me some uses for it.

Blog Archive

Tuesday Tag-Along

Tuesday Tag-Along

Foodie BlogRoll

Followers