Tuesday, October 2, 2012





I started out thinking I was inventing this dish. But when I Googled "pasta pudding" in order to get some basic parameters/proportions for a custard-like dish, up popped pasta pudding, making use of spaghetti. I wanted to use Israeli couscous in order to make it resemble a savory tapioca pudding. I succeeded pretty much completely. A couple ingredients are my own substitutions and were perfectly viable. The only thing I would change another time would be to increase the amount of cheese (perhaps use 2 varieties for ... well, variety) and put some cheese on top to melt during the final minutes of baking. All that aside, this was fun to make and really fun to eat. Peter and I had generous portions of it at three separate dinners.

Pasta pudding
1 cup Israeli couscous, cooked according to package directions (using broth or salted water will increase its flavor
3/4 cup finely chopped onion
14 oz can of fat-free evaporated milk
3 beaten eggs
1/2 cup parmesan cheese (grated, naturally)
salt and pepper to taste

Preheat your oven to 325 degrees.

Mix all ingredients together in a bowl.

Grease a 7 or 8 inch square (or similar area) casserole with Pam or butter.

Put the pasta pudding mix into this and bake for 30-35 minutes until a toothpick comes clean from the center. Allow to cool for a few minutes so that you don't get pizza mouth. Add some additional grated cheese on top if you wish.


6 comments:

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Fun idea Stephen. I love the idea of a savory pudding. And isralie Couscous is a favorite of ours too. Gonna have to try this one!

Catherine said...

Dear Stephen. This is a delicious and satisfying dish. It is wonderful. Blessings, Catherine

Shu Han said...

well this is the first i've heard of pasta pudding so still hat's off to you!

Unknown said...

Very interesting, indeed. I use evap milk in mac and cheese sometimes and it really makes it creamy and wonderful. I just might have to try this one... wonder if I could get the picky eater to eat it??? :)

Knatolee said...

Hmm, and here I am with a box of Israeli couscous in the cupboard! I think I should try this!

Knatolee said...

Oh and in case you didn't get my email, that thing my cat was sleeping on was my Xerox colour printer! :)

Tuesday Tag-Along

Tuesday Tag-Along

Foodie BlogRoll

Followers