Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Cornish hens (what, again?)

 
It's been quite a while since my last Cornish hen posting, and my technique has evolved.

Spatchcock one bird (dinner for two).
Brine in 2 cups water (with 2 Tbs kosher salt dissolved in it) for at least 2 hours; or up to 4.
Rinse well and dry. Drizzle with butter, season with pepper, and place lemon slices under the skin (optional).
Insert temperature probe if you have one and roast in a 350 oven for about 30 minutes.
Place under the broiler to brown the skin. Target temperature is 165 degrees at the thickest part of the breast - where the wing is attached. Let rest 5 minutes.

Is that easy, or what?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Easy and totally delicious - love them broiled!
Mary x

Chef and Sommelier said...

Hi SC! Yes, easy and yet so yummy! What's the side dish in the pic? Shallot?

Unknown said...

Simple and delicious... can't go wrong there!!

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

Definitely easy and my kind of meal in the summer!

Chris said...

I would probably eat more cornish hens if I could buy them not frozen solid. Most nights I plan my meal standing in the produce or meat section of the store, with no time to thaw.

Unknown said...

Yes to that good old brining technique. Looks delicious.

Tuesday Tag-Along

Tuesday Tag-Along

Foodie BlogRoll

Followers