Saturday, August 30, 2008

You screme, I screme for ice creme

Technically this is probably ice milk. It is creamy, though, and extremely easy to make. The New York Times "Dining In" section 10 days ago had an article and recipe for "Ice cream in a bag." The way you freeze it, according to their method, is to put the mix in a freezer bag and bury it in an ice and salt combination. I didn't want to go to the trouble and tried, as an experiment, putting the bag between those frozen bags you get when something is shipped to you.

It didn't work. So I just put my ice cream mix into the freezer and squooshed it every 15 minutes until it was hard. That took a couple of hours. The resulting product was delicious.

I've been contemplating for some time a retro idea of making ice cream that tastes like the creamsicles and fudgesicles I loved so much as a kid. Last night I made my version of ice cream in a bag and got the flavor pretty much right. What surprised me was the amount of frozen orange juice concentrate to get the proper flavor. At breakfast in a diner yesterday I copped a little container of orange marmalade to add to the mix. I'm not sure it did anything.

As for the fudgesicle part, I haven't tried my own recipe below yet. I think it should work. If it don't, I'll correct it tomorrow.

Creamsicle ice cream in a bag
2 cups heavy cream
2 cups whole milk
1 portion stolen orange marmalade from Breakfast King
6 oz. frozen orange juice concentrate
1 tbsp Splenda
1 tsp vanilla extract

Whisk everything together in a bowl and then pour it into a one-gallon freezer bag. Lay the bag flat in the freezer. Every 15-20 minutes take it out and squeeze everything so that it freezes evenly.

Fudgesicle sauce
2 fudgesicles
1/4 cup heavy cream

Melt the fudgesicles in a saucepan and reduce the liquid by half over medium low heat, just a very slow simmer. Add the cream and bring back to a boil. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely.

Assembly
I am making mini, one bite, creamsicle/fudgesicles. Pour just enough sauce to coat the bottoms of the cups of an ice tray. Place the tray in the freezer and freeze the sauce solid.

Fill the cups with ice cream to just below the top. The point is to leave enough room for another chocolate sauce layer. Using a measuring cup with a pouring lip, top off the ice cream with sauce.

Insert a popsicle stick into the ice cream of each cup. Freeze everything again. To unmold the pops, place the ice tray in some warm water just until they pop free. Store the pops in individual sandwich bags in the freezer. That is if you don't immediately eat them all.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Tuesday Tag-Along

Tuesday Tag-Along

Foodie BlogRoll

Followers