Sunday, February 21, 2010

The best "not" tuna salad you will never make


Here he goes again I hear you all saying! Once again Peter and I took advantage of some miscellanea from the fridge and the pantry and last night’s leftover to make something unique and delicious.

On my 65th birthday last year I was given a gift card to a very high end market here in Denver. The amount: $650. Yep. We’ve been making visits off and on and “spending” nearly $100 each time and coming home with some spectacular goodies. I look forward to sharing photos and menus this coming week, during which time we will be feasting on some of the “free” bounty.

Yesterday we bought a piece of hebi, a fish I had never heard of. It’s a “short-billed spearfish” from Hawaii, quite dense in texture. It was cut into 2” thick steaks. In retrospect I wish I had sliced that down to 1” before broiling. I confess I slightly overcooked it. The flavor was good though, and the salad Peter made from it for lunch today was out of this world.

We had a salad with dinner last night and a bed of Israeli couscous under the fish. In the future I will consider preparing couscous and tuna or some other fish just for the purposes of such a salad for lunch.

We used Indian instant pappadums, a lentil or chickpea wafer, as a delivery vehicle for the salad. We find them at Whole Foods. Peter discovered the perfect way to cook them: brush with olive (using your fingers – they are very delicate right out of the box. He then puts them, one at a time, in the microwave for 49 seconds. Not 48, not 50, don’t ask me, I don’t know, but it works. You can see from the picture that they puff up and crisp and are a savory sort of cracker.

The ingredients you see below are nothing if not eclectic. Yet again, this is a function of “stuff” we had and needed to use up.

Accompanying our salad was a bowl of fruit and yogurt and my second bloody Mary of the day. Oh come on, it’s the weekend.

Be sure to tune in in another week or 2 for a report on my homemade sauerkraut, curing even as we speak in a crock on our dining room table.

The best not tuna salad you will never make
4 oz. cooked hebi fish
¾ cup cooked Israeli couscous
¼ green bell pepper, diced
2 scallions, diced (green and white parts)
2 tbsp mayo
2 tsp Dijon mustard
zest and juice of ½ lemon
salt and pepper to taste½ cup baby arugula leaves
Flake the fish into a large bowl and mix with all the other stuff. That's it!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I had hebi in Hawaii, I had never had it before, it was delicious!

Blog Archive

Tuesday Tag-Along

Tuesday Tag-Along

Foodie BlogRoll

Followers