Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Braised lamb shanks



What is it about me and lamb shanks? I posted them in January with the crappiest photo in my entire blog. I cooked them again for Easter the other day and ended up with a very blurry photo. Oh well, my point today is to describe just how easy it is to make this dish. And the photo? I “borrowed” it from someone else’s site. At least it looks just like my lamb shanks.

The most time-consuming thing is the trimming of the silver skin. Frankly, I don’t think it’s essential to do it – the lamb cooks for so long it probably doesn’t matter.

Braised lamb shanks
2 lamb shanks, trimmed of silver skin
2 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper
2-3 cups beef or chicken stock
2 bay leaves

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees and place a rack in the lower third.

Heat the oil in a pot large enough to hold the lamb in one layer. Liberally salt and pepper the meat and brown on all sides (about 8 minutes total). Add the chicken stock and bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Cover and put in the oven for 3 – 3 ½ hours. Go play tennis.

2 comments:

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Can you believe that I've never tried lamb? Well other than in a gyro but does that really count? The shanks sound delicious - but I'm a sucker for a braised dish. I bet they were delicious! Sorry your photo didn't turn out well, that's frustrating!

Unknown said...

I feel for you Stephen, I take like 20 pictures and maybe come up with one or two good ones. I wish I could hire a professional to do it for me! lol I love lamb...go figure, Chris does not. Oh well, I still may have to give this one a shot! Sounds delicious!

Blog Archive

Tuesday Tag-Along

Tuesday Tag-Along

Foodie BlogRoll

Followers