Sunday, March 13, 2011

Something I threw together






A while back I fooled around with the old 50's recipe for roasting beef with mushroom soup and dry onion soup mix - updated it while retaining the essential flavors. Well, as I write this, I have just put a great big pot of stuff into a 300 degree oven. The essence of this goes back to that 50's concoction, but it's got some real differences. I'm assuming it will need to be in the oven for 3 hours or so. After the first hour I'll reduce the temp to 250. Photos courtesy of the internet.


Use a pot large enough to hold a lot of stuff (Dutch oven might do it, if it's a big one).


Something for the oven

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

Put a tablespoon or 2 of vegetable oil in the bottom.

Add 8 oz. sliced mushrooms, 1 large onion, in chunks, 8 oz. carrots in chunks, 3 large red potatoes, quartered, salt and pepper, onion powder to taste and 2 tablespoons flour (just scattered over the top).

Season 2 1/2 lbs. of whatever pork cuts you can find on sale with salt and pepper and lay them on top of all the vegetation.

Add: about 3 cups of whatever stock you have on hand.

Cover and put the pot into the oven. Reduce the heat to 275 after 1 hour. Leave it alone for 2 more hours after that. Then have a look. Prepare to be surprised. I am.


I'll be back tomorrow morning with an update of what happened with this. Heck, it's got lots of good vittles in there. How bad can it be?

Monday morning:

5 comments:

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Sounds really good Stephen! I bet the smells in your house from that oven are out of this world! Can't wait for the final product update :)

Unknown said...

I think this sounds really good. Now you said any cut of pork, but what did you use?

Bo said...

Stephen,
I'm really curious to how this turns out...since it's like a crock-pot recipe...minus the crock pot. I'm not a big fan of crock-pots.
Thanks for your message...I've just been a real slacker when it comes to blogging, but I'm rested and back.

Mary Bergfeld said...

It sounds fantastic and I'll wager its delicious. Can't wait to hear. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Pam said...

It sounds delicious! I really like this updated from the 50's, especially because it includes no dry onion soup mix. Sometimes it seems like that cancels all of the good flavors in a dish; not to mention all of the salt in dry onion soup mix. Love those vittles!

Blog Archive

Tuesday Tag-Along

Tuesday Tag-Along

Foodie BlogRoll

Followers