Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Second Son of Slaw




This is a warm concoction. It nudged my consciousness this morning at about 9:30 am (EDT). By the way, do you hate having to get up in pitch dark as much as I do? I can hardly wait for the time to change this weekend. Here's a pretty simple recipe. We've been buying cabbages because we like cabbage and it is relatively cheap. I learned from Rachael Ray the melt anchovy in your cooking oil technique. It really works. I will resist saying, “Yummo.” Uh-oh, I guess I just failed that test. The quantities of ingredients I used are very modest. Frankly I think you could double them if you like lots of flavor. When I do this again, that is what I will do.

The Second Son of Slaw
3 Tbs olive oil
2 anchovies
¼ head of cabbage, sliced very thin
1/3 cup chicken broth
2 Tbs cider vinegar
1 Tbs Dijon mustard
Pinch red pepper flakes
½ tsp ground caraway seeds
Heat the oil. Melt the anchovies into the oil.
Add the cabbage and toss to coat. Continue tossing for about 3 minutes.
Add broth, vinegar, mustard, pepper flakes and caraway. Cook uncovered until the cabbage is tender but al dente, maybe 6 minutes, maybe 8 minutes? Pull it off the heat and let it sit for 10 minutes. You can combine this with anything for which you would use sauerkraut or more traditional coleslaw.

5 comments:

Aarthi said...

Delicious …Perfectly made one..I will surely try it soon..Thanks for the recipe dear..

My Blog:
http://yummytummy-aarthi.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

Heck, I'm leaving for work when it's still dark out.. it's crazy!
Love the slaw.. sounds delicious!

Mary Bergfeld said...

As long as you don't say nummy, I'm still with you. Your cabbage sounds delicious.Have a great weekend, Stephen. Blessings...Mary

Chris said...

Wait, it's pitch dark at 9:30am???? Where do you live now....the North Pole? (ha ha)

I can't do the anchovies but I'm willing to do anchovy paste for a try. My new slaw fascination is using napa cabbage in place of green, even for Southern style slaw. (Guess that makes me a refined redneck? ha!)

Brownieville Girl said...

It's great to get new ideas on way to serve the old favourites - Thanks a million Stephen.

Blog Archive

Tuesday Tag-Along

Tuesday Tag-Along

Foodie BlogRoll

Followers