Thursday, February 23, 2012

Baked beans (backup by Little Richard, "The Musical Fruitcake")



I sure do amuse myself. Even if I don't amuse all of you. I got a hankering to make baked beans day before yesterday. I had no intention of starting with dry beans (life is too short for that). I started with 2 cans of beans and, after wok-smoking them for an hour plus, added some flavor components. It took considerable tinkering to get a profile that satisfied me. I had limited resources, so if you wonder why there's no brown sugar in this, it's simple. I didn't have any. Here's how it played out.


2 15.5 oz cans of your favorite beans (mine were one of kidneys and one of blacks)
2 Tbs molasses
2 Tbs cider vinegar
2 cloves garlic, chopped very fine
1 Tbs brown mustard
½ jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
2/3 cup chicken or beef broth
salt and black pepper to taste
Smoke your drained and rinsed beans by whatever means you have available for 1 plus hours. Stir in all remaining ingredients and simmer for 30 minutes. Taste and adjust as you see fit.

9 comments:

Pam said...

They look great. I've never made them without brown sugar and always molasses and vinegar. I hear vinegar helps with the tooting!

Unknown said...

My baked beans always start with a can too.. The key is how you spice them up! These sound great.. and of course, you know I love the idea of smoking them first!

Debbie said...

Wow, what a great recipe. Will try this one for family get togethers instead of doing the dryed. Deb@http://healthycomfort.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

Wow I love the ingredients - especially the molasses - I don't know how to smoke!
Mary

chow and chatter said...

love baked beans :-)

Mary Bergfeld said...

What a clever fellow! These sound delicious and I never would have thought to make them this way before being nudged by you. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Chris said...

I'm curious as to Pam's comment "vinegar helps with the tooting!".

Does "help" mean preventing or enhancing? lol

Great smoky beans. You could have made brown sugar with the molasses and regular white sugar. Don't remember the ratio off the top of my head but I think it's 2:1.

Gabi said...

LOVE the idea of smoking the beans, definitely going to give it go next time I'm making beans :)

Only Fish Recipes said...

wow..they look great....love the ingredients u hav used specially the mollasses...n thnx for the nice comments in my space :-)

Blog Archive

Tuesday Tag-Along

Tuesday Tag-Along

Foodie BlogRoll

Followers