Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Bowl games and layered things





Ice cream










 


Cake

Do ice cream makers spin the other way if you're below the equator?

Do missing socks actually go to the Planet of the Sock Puppets, where they are ruled over by Shari Lewis?

Is a secret drone is being used by the US government to manipulate us? And it's Wolf Blitzer?



Pure ice cream may be just vanilla.
I dream of it when I'm on my pilla.
With berries of straw,
It puts me in awe.
Then morphs to nice screams at Godzilla.

When is this blog going to address the topic suggested by the title? RIGHT NOW!

I had a look at Michael Toa's blog this morning. It's about ice cream and the use of condensed milk. Fascinating fact: the condensed milk and other ingredients don't need the churn from an ice cream maker, good news for those of us who don't own one. I really want a sushi machine, but that's another topic all together.

I had occasion to make a pastel de tres leches (the traditional Latin American cake) recently. I was left with some of the three milks that I hadn't used. I threw them into the freezer where they became an exquisite ice cream with just a minimum of stirring over the 2-3 hours it took for it to firm up completely.

Google will help you find hundreds of recipes for the cake. The basics of the ice cream are these:

1 can fat free sweetened condensed milk
1 can fat free evaporated milk
1 cup heavy cream
1 tsp vanilla extract

Whisk together and freeze, stirring 2 or 3 times over 3 hours. You are done.





7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yum, so glad not to need an ice cream maker. I bought one last summer, never used it and my husband threw it out when he thought I wasn't looking What a cheek! Mary x

Kitchen Belleicious said...

i love my ice cream and cake together! Its like a match made in heaven- especially when I make the ice cream from scratch

Stephen C said...

Watching

Unknown said...

I absolutely love using sweetened condensed milk for home-made ice cream. For the main reason that it requires no churning.
Now, ice-cream cake, that's something I haven't made before. But you got me thinking... Thank you for the mention :)

Unknown said...

I'm with you, since the first time discovering that sweetened condensed milk made ice cream so much more creamier and delicious... I haven't made it any other way!

Knatolee said...

Homemade ice crea, THE BEST!

I had buttermilk ice cream in Quebec City and it was soooo good.

Chris said...

You are cracking me up with your musings, you nut. (in a good way)

Tuesday Tag-Along

Tuesday Tag-Along

Foodie BlogRoll

Followers