Monday, March 25, 2013

Brown rice - Are you nutty, or what?




It came to a pot of brown rice;
Not fluffy like white, but quite nice.
When cooked with some lovin',
It goes in the oven.
Says Alton, you don't roll the dice.





Don't you just hate when TV cooks add lots of "love."? I've found that hatred and anger don't actually change the taste of my food, as long as nothing gets thrown at anyone. But enough about me.

I'm a huge fan of white rice, but partner Peter always cooks brown. Recently the brown rice had not been turning out to be what our pea-pickin' hearts desired. I found this method from Alton Brown on the Food Network page. What's unusual about it is the use of the oven. It turned out to be quite superb. One caveat: he said bake for one hour. If I had not checked it after 50 minutes it would have been ruined.

Alton Brown's brown rice (stick around until I find how to make Betty White's white rice)
1 1/2 cups brown rice, rinsed
2 1/2 cups water (or, if using broth, go to 2 3/4 cups)
1 Tbsp butter
1 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place water, butter and salt in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Place rice in a square glass baking dish  or 8" square casserole with a lid. Pour liquid over rice. Stir. Cover with foil or lid and bake for 50-55 minutes, until all liquid is absorbed. I find it a life-saving technique to set a timer with a loud signal tone.


5 comments:

Pam said...

Interesting and I'll give it a go.

Kitchen Belleicious said...

i am nutty and always will be:) love me some brown rice

Unknown said...

Simple enough... this might get me to eat more brown rice, actually :) I can't ever get it to turn out as good as white rice either!

Knatolee said...

I have to admit, I do prefer brown rice! We have a rice cooker that works pretty well. Yummy!

Anonymous said...

I've never put butter in rice but I can't think why!
Mary x

Tuesday Tag-Along

Tuesday Tag-Along

Foodie BlogRoll

Followers