Saturday, January 10, 2009

Guacamole


There are, of course, dozens of ways to make guacamole. This one is my way, and includes all the things I prefer. I call for pepper and used some lemon pepper I bought a couple of weeks ago. If you don't have it, just use black pepper.

Any hot sauce will do, but be sure to be cautious at first. Same thing with the serrano pepper. If you want less heat, seed both halves. Serranos aren't fierce though.

The problem I have with buying avocados is finding ripe ones if you have a sudden hankering for them. But I got lucky at Sunflower Market and Safeway and found 2 very small ones and one regular size. You certainly can double or triple the recipe and adjust all the additions accordingly.

We are cobbling together a lunch today of one grilled cheese sandwich (which we will cut in half), some guacamole with homemade chips Peter baked yesterday, using the last of some corn tortillas we had, and of course some fruit.

Guacamole
2 Hass avocados
¼ cup onion, very finely diced
1 clove garlic, pressed or minced
juice of 1 lime
hot sauce
1 serrano pepper, ½ diced with seeds, ½ without
¼ cup cilantro, chopped
cherry or grape tomatoes, a few quartered
salt and pepper

Mash the avocados with the lime juice. Add in onion, garlic, Serrano, cilantro, tomatoes, salt and pepper and hot sauce (to taste) and stir together. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Serve with store-bought or homemade tortilla chips.

For a free excerpt of my book, “A Year of Food,” in which I opine, report, cook, muse and philosophize about everything that passed my lips for an entire year, write to me at: scrout1944@msn.com.

No comments:

Tuesday Tag-Along

Tuesday Tag-Along

Foodie BlogRoll

Followers