Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Let me help

I’m starting something new: a how-to offer for anyone perplexed by what to do with leftovers and the oddments that we all collect in our pantries, freezers and refrigerators.

I consider myself an expert at this. If you have examined some of my recipes, you will have noticed a tendency to use what is at hand and adapt a dish appropriately.

The first thing you must do (and if you’re not willing, this won’t work) is to inventory what you have. Get a pad and pencil, open your fridge and make a list of everything in there that you don’t use on a daily basis (or at least frequently). This means don’t write down milk and orange juice and the like. Look especially for things that have been there a while and haven’t been used: such things as condiments, olives, pickles, leftovers you still would eat, etc. (anything with mold growing on it doesn’t count and I don’t have to tell you what to do with it).

Next, go to your pantry and your freezer and repeat the above.

Now, send me an e-mail at scrout1944@msn.com, list your items and tell me about any food allergies or dislikes. I will reply within no more than a few hours (depends on when I check my mail) and give you ideas in the form of actual recipes. There’s no charge for this. What I really hope to do is to get more people reading my blog.

For examples of how I’ve done exactly what I am recommending, check out these postings on this blog: Aug 2, 09 – quinoa salad, or Nov 1, 09 – slaw. It’s not that these are the only recipes where I’ve taken advantage on on-hand ingredients…nearly all of my creations are inspired by something I’ve had and have been meaning to use.

I look forward to hearing from you.

No comments:

Tuesday Tag-Along

Tuesday Tag-Along

Foodie BlogRoll

Followers