Sunday, April 11, 2010

Asparagus soup


I made (and posted) an asparagus soup a few months ago. Rather than consult my own recipe, I just started from scratch and made it up as I went along. By using half broth and half water the result was light and flavorful.

We had saved the “butt” ends of some thick asparagus from a week or so ago and kept them in the freezer. Let’s get on with it.

Asparagus soup
Trimmed bottoms of 1 bunch of asparagus
14 oz. chicken broth
14 oz. water
10 oz. frozen baby asparagus spears, thawed
large pinches each of: freshly ground coriander seed, cumin, onion powder, garlic granules, salt, pepper
1/3 cup heavy cream

Put the asparagus bottoms, broth and water in a soup pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer slowly for 1 hour. Strain out the solids, pressing them to extract as much liquid as possible. Discard the solids.

Cut 2 inch-long pieces from the tips of the baby asparagus. Set them aside. Cut the remainder of the spears into 1 inch pieces. Put them into the broth and simmer for 10 minutes. Puree in the food processor with some of the liquid. Return the puree to the soup pot and bring to a simmer. Add the spices and cream. Simmer 5 minutes, turn off the heat and let the soup sit until reheating at serving time.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm not a big asparagus fan. This time it's me not Chris :) I even tried it again recently thinking that my taste could have changed. It was ok, but ...well.. not so much...but, the soup still looks good!!!

Blog Archive

Tuesday Tag-Along

Tuesday Tag-Along

Foodie BlogRoll

Followers