Thursday, December 16, 2010

Four fairly fine fajitas



For years whenever I went to a Mexican restaurant I would order fajitas. I knew I was guaranteed to go home stuffed like a pig. No more. Now it’s just stuff oneself like a pig on chips and salsa before the food is even ordered.
The realization hit me that there was enough chicken, onion, some Napa cabbage, cheese and yogurt to make fajitas at home. Needed a few extra things: maybe refried beans, jalapeno, bell pepper. The jalapeno was just for me – Peter needs to avoid that kind of spice for the moment.So – quick trip to Safeway.
Four fairly fine fajitas
1 tbsp olive oil or vegetable oil
½ onion, cut into half moons
½ red bell pepper, cut into strips
4 oz. cabbage or lettuce, shredded
salt and pepper to taste
8 oz. leftover chicken or steak, shredded
1 can refried beans
1/2 jalapeno, cut into thin circles
½ avocado, sliced
yogurt or sour cream to garnish
4 flour tortillas
Heat the oil in a cast iron (or other heavy) skillet.Add the onions and bell pepper and cabbage (if using) and saute 3-4 minutes just to soften. Season with salt and pepper.Add the chicken and toss to heat through.Microwave the refried beans until hot.Wrap 4 tortillas in a kitchen towel and microwave for 30 seconds. Keep in the wrap until ready to assemble the fajitas at the table.Serve the chicken and veg in the skillet (on a good trivet to save your table). Assemble fajitas to taste with beans on the side and avocado and sour cream for garnish. (Or some shredded lettuce if you’re not using cabbage.)

6 comments:

Mary Bergfeld said...

I love the clarity of fajitas. You know exactly what you are getting because of the way they are served. This is a great idea for a quick holiday meal. Have a good day. Blessings...Mary

Create. Snap. Eat. said...

Oooh! What brand of refried beans are those! Everything looks delicious :-)

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Fajitas make me happy :)

Unknown said...

I do love fajitas. Nice thing about them is you can make them with whatever you have on hand. They are simple and delicious! Yours look wonderful, Stephen!

Jean at The Delightful Repast said...

This is just what I need to eat today. Too many treats lately, including my homemade eggnog! Today a lovely fajita lunch.

Chris said...

Fajitas make my day. I like the summery, fun flavors and how variable they are.

Blog Archive

Tuesday Tag-Along

Tuesday Tag-Along

Foodie BlogRoll

Followers