Friday, May 13, 2011

Basics - tomato sauce






I recently discovered the best tomato sauce I've ever had. You will not believe that it does not involve cooking for hours. As a matter of fact it involves just heating. Take one 28 oz can of whole roma tomatoes. Squeeze them to get some liquid out of their centers. Put the tomatoes into your food processor and reserve the juices. Add some olive oil, some salt and pepper, some garlic, some onion powder (all of the amounts are negotiable). Pulse until the tomatoes reduce to very small bits. It's best not to completely puree them. Put them (with the reserved juices) into a saucepan and heat to a simmer. Let them bubble slowly for 10 minutes. If you want this to be a little thinner, add some chicken stock. You're done! That is if you've tasted it and adjusted the seasonings. Make pasta, make ravioli, make shrimp and grits, go crazy. I can hardly wait until I can get fresh tomatoes to make gazpacho!




4 comments:

Whats Cookin Italian Style Cuisine said...

Sometimes simplicity is best

Mary Bergfeld said...

I'll have to try this. It sounds interesting but almost too good to be true. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Unknown said...

I make a sauce very similar to this...simple yet amazingly delicious!!

Liliana Dumitru said...

Hello ,

My name is Liliana Dumitru. I have a food recipes blog:
http :// retetelamama.blogspot.com /
I wanted to let you know that I took two photos from your website and I wanted also to know if I violate the terms and conditions of your site.
If I do not get your approval, I undertake to delete these photos.At the following link, you can see the photo i'm talking about:
http://retetelamama.blogspot.com/2011/07/supa-crema-de-legume.html
My e-mail is liliand50@yahoo.com

Kindest regards,
Liliana Dumitru

Blog Archive

Tuesday Tag-Along

Tuesday Tag-Along

Foodie BlogRoll

Followers