Friday, June 24, 2011

Gazpacho












Here are some images of gazpacho. It's one of those catch-all recipes that you make with whatever you have.


I was inspired to make this when we got home from the shore with some beautiful early season tomatoes. One of them had a small soft spot and I didn't want it to go to waste. Into the food processor went a small yellow summer squash, a shallot, a couple of small celery stalks with leaves, 2 garlic cloves, 1/2 a jalapeno (I sliced it and left the seeds and pith in part of it). Chop this stuff up fine. Add some celery salt and some black pepper to taste.



Bring a large pot of water to boil. Poke an "X" in the stem scar of the tomatoes. Put them into the boiling water for about 45 seconds. Rinse them under cold water and the skins will slip off very easily. Chop them and pulse them in the food processor with the other vegetation. You are done. Chill this down. It will keep for several days in the fridge.



When you're ready to eat it, you can garnish with some scallion or finely chopped onion, some avocado, a drizzle of olive oil and/or apple cider vinegar. You could also add some chopped hard boiled egg. Go wild!

3 comments:

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

I so wish I had some early season tomatoes to make gazpacho with right now! It'd be perfect for breakfast :) Your version sounds down right perfect! Now I shall crave gazpacho all day long. Thanks Stephen :)d

Unknown said...

This is a fantastic use of such wonderful early season vegetables. Although, as I've told you, my one and only experience with gazpacho was not good, I would so try this one!

Chris said...

A cold soup on these 98f days sounds inviting.

Blog Archive

Tuesday Tag-Along

Tuesday Tag-Along

Foodie BlogRoll

Followers