Thursday, July 19, 2012

One all pork patty, no special sauce, no lettuce, yes onion, no sesame seed bun

I got this hunk o' meat the other day called “pork shoulder blade steak.” I have experience with this cut. In spite of the use of the “steak” word, this is long-cooking meat for sure. Last time I slow-cooked it with sauerkraut. It was good, real good when it was finally finished (2 hours). This time I wanted faster results. Hence the pork burger.

We usually have sandwiches for lunch, so I didn't feel a bun was a necessity for dinner as well. Brining was, as was the addition of a number of other consequential flavors.

One all pork patty (makes three 6 oz. burgers)
18 oz. pork steak (weight after trimming)
1 great big scallion, rough chopped
¼ jalapeno, partly seeded as per your taste
¼ cup cooked button mushrooms in ½ inch pieces
black pepper
2/3 cup torn bread pieces soaked in milk

Brine the pork overnight. Google “brine meat” if you need help with this. Rinse thoroughly and dry with paper towels. Trim out any bone or extraneous fat and cut into ½ inch pieces.

Place in the food processor along with everything else and buzz until very thoroughly pureed. Put a 1 inch ball of it into your microwave and zap for 15 seconds. Taste for seasonings and adjust as necessary.

Form into 3 burgers. Fry in some butter or oil for 5 minutes per side or until the pink is gone from the center (you'll need to make a little cut in one of them to check this out). Add a slice of cheese after turning them if you wish.

4 comments:

Kitchen Belleicious said...

look delicious

Cathleen said...

This looks fantastic! The only meat I have ever worked with was chicken, I should really broaden my horizons..

Unknown said...

Sounds delicious! I've made pork burgers before, but they didn't have enough fat in them and they were pretty dry... I bet the bread soaked in milk helped that considerably.

Chris said...

That sounds good, Stephen. The only time I have ground my own pork it always becomes sausage, I need to keep this idea in mind.

Blog Archive

Tuesday Tag-Along

Tuesday Tag-Along

Foodie BlogRoll

Followers