Thursday, March 18, 2010

St. Pat's Day dinner







Having made my corned beef from a 7-bone chuck steak, it wasn’t very thick. I had to monitor the slow cooking so as not to overdo it. Turns out, unlike a piece of brisket which would have required maybe 3 hours, it needed only 1 1/2 hours to braise.

My homemade sauerkraut (cabbage plus some turnip) is a brand new flavor for me. I’m sure some would consider it too sour. Not I (said the little red hen). That book I keep referring to (“Wild Fermentation”) includes a recipe for sauerreuben, basically sauerkraut made entirely with turnips. Wow!

Potatoes, olive oil, butter, salt and pepper. That's all you need to make this beautiful galette. Melt the butter in a non-stick pan. Take it off the heat and spread the butter around cover the bottom. Use a mandoline and slice a large russett potato as thin as possible. Starting in the middle arrange the slices in an overlapping circle, using all the potato.
Put the pan back on the heat and turn it on to medium. Cook until the bottom is well-browned (maybe 10 minutes - careful not to let it burn). Shake the pan occasionally to keep the "rosette" loose from the bottom. When browned, slide out onto a plate. Melt more butter in the pan. Use a second plate to turn the galette over then slide it back into the pan and cook until the second side looks like the above photo and a knife slides easily into the thickest part. Fabulous and simple dish!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

YUM! The entire meal looks fantastic! Even knowing there are turnips on your plate (never been a fan). I love the ease of your galette. I'm going to have to try that soon. We eat a lot of potatoes and I'm always looking for new ways to make them!

Blog Archive

Tuesday Tag-Along

Tuesday Tag-Along

Foodie BlogRoll

Followers