Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Pan roasted duck breasts


I will take no credit for inventing this recipe. We had 2 duck breasts (“purchased” with my aforementioned upscale market gift card) which thawed overnight in the fridge. I acquired the recipe from FoodNetwork. I felt I needed a basic guide to the timing of the 3 steps involved. I made duck breasts quite some time ago and understood the technique.

I’m posting this in part because of how beautiful they look (not to mention how wonderful they tasted). Duck breasts aren’t cheap. Ours (had we paid for them) would have cost us $17.91! However, a special occasion calls for a special meal. I assure you you’ll pay through the nose at a restaurant for duck breast. And the preparation is so easy.

Another issue is leftovers. Peter and I both eat less than we used to (I am of a certain age after all) and if I have duck to save for another day, there is always the possibility of a sandwich, or a hash.

A word about the picture: I almost forgot to take it until I was well into the duck...yum. Accompaniments were smashed potatoes with bleu cheese and mushroom gravy and creamed turnip greens.

Pan roasted duck breasts (2 servings)
2 Muscovy duck breasts
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

With a sharp knife score the fat of the duck breasts in a criss-cross pattern. Season the duck with salt and pepper. Warm a heavy bottomed ovenproof skillet over medium heat.

Place the duck breasts, fat side down, in the skillet to render off the fat, about 6 minutes. Reserve rendered duck fat.

Turn the duck breasts over and sear for 1 minute.

Turn the fat side down again and place the skillet into the oven to roast for 7 to 9 minutes, until breasts are medium rare. Let the duck breasts rest for 5 minutes then thinly slice.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love love love duck! Can I come to dinner next time? :) Looks fantastic!

Blog Archive

Tuesday Tag-Along

Tuesday Tag-Along

Foodie BlogRoll

Followers