Saturday, July 24, 2010

Butter-poached salmon filets





I bought some wild Alaska salmon yesterday at King Soopers. It has an odd name, which I don’t happen to remember. On sale for $4.99 lb. Wonderfully fresh. My intention was to repeat my Salmon Burgers a la Hubert Keller (on this blog – 11/10/09, and pictured above), but we got home a little late from the gym and I changed the plan to just butter-poaching the filets (much like yesterday’s pork chops).

This picture was obtained from a free site on the web. That’s exactly what my salmon looked like. I was in too much of a hurry to eat, so didn’t photo my own dish.

I asked the fish monger for 12-14 oz. He cut me a piece that was a little over a pound! The good news: Peter is downstairs right now finishing up a salmon salad from the leftovers to go into sandwiches for lunch.

Lately when I’ve been using ramen noodles I’ve saved the little flavor packets. I had one with shrimp flavoring and it’s the only seasoning I put on the fish. Use just salt and pepper and it will be more than fine.

Butter-poached salmon filet
2 salmon filets, about 1 lb., skin on, pin bones removed
1 ½ tbsp unsalted butter
salt and pepper to taste
lemon juice

Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat (6 on my 1-10 dial). When the butter is melted and just about to brown, put the filets in skin-side down. Cook 4 minutes.

Turn the filets and turn off the burner. Let the filets cook in the residual heat for 1-2 minutes. 1 minute will give you some rare areas in the thickest part, 2 minutes – more like medium rare. Use you own judgement.
That’s it in a nutshell. No need to rest the fish the way you would meat or chicken. Just spritz it with some lemon juice, sit down and relish it.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Sometimes the picture taking is the worse part of blogging. I hate that my dinner always has to wait a bit to be eaten so I can snap a ton of pictures of it. As the Food Floozie said.. food is meant to be consumed, not part of photo shoots! LOL
I love salmon so much, it's hard to get really fresh stuff here though..most markets sell the stuff that has red dye added for coloring...ugh! This sounds simple and delicious!

Cook with Madin said...

What a simple way to prepare salmon and yet full of flavors.
I can relate about taking pictures of the food we just cooked to be posted in our blog.
Have a great weekend.

Katrina (Betty Ray) said...

You had me at butter. That looks delicious!

Create. Snap. Eat. said...

That looks lovely! And what type of pan is it that you used to cook the salmon?

StephenC said...

It's actually the large skillet from a set of EmerilWare we bought at a great price after moving to Denver some years ago. It's the only pan we have that's big enough to hold such large filets.

Blog Archive

Tuesday Tag-Along

Tuesday Tag-Along

Foodie BlogRoll

Followers