Thursday, July 29, 2010

Smoked salmon mousse




Ok, ok, it's a picture of leftovers. Good leftovers.


Last night we attended the FEDUPs annual pot-luck supper. FEDUPs = Foodies Eating Diverse and Unusual Platings. We gave no instructions to the members as to what to bring. That suggests an unbalanced menu, but it’s the way we like to do it.

I’ll describe the most unusual dish: Busy Woman’s Miracle. Put ground beef in the bottom of a casserole; top it with mushroom soup concentrate; top that with tater tots; bake. It was very good in a 50’s sort of way.

Peter and I contributed: home-wok-smoked salmon mousse crostini, a garden fresh salad (everything in it came from our backyard plot except the citrus dressing), and cheesecake with a Zweiback crust.

This group has been meeting monthly for 4 and ½ years. We visit ethnically diverse restaurants in Denver, of which there are zillions. It’s been a wonderful source of varied eatings and gatherings of interesting, funny, and witty friends.

My salmon mousse started with the wok-smoked salmon I posted a while back. I put it in the food processor and kept adding other stuff until I got what I wanted. Amounts below are not guaranteed to be precise.

Smoked salmon mousse
1 lb. wok-smoked salmon
6 oz. cottage cheese
6 oz. sour cream
1 tbsp (or more) capers
2-3 tbsp juice from the caper jar
salt and pepper

Put everything into a food processor and puree. Add more sour cream to thin it to desired consistency. Serve with toasted baguette rounds.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

ooooohhh....make Crostini with it..YUM! Looks and sounds fabulous, Stephen!

Mary Bergfeld said...

I adore smoked salmon and have never had a dish containing it that I didn't like. Yours sounds wonderful and I love that it's a bit lighter than most. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

Bo said...

Sounds great...I love smoked salmon.

krissy @ thefoodaddicts.com said...

what a creative way to use smoked salmon. it's a great idea because you are stretching the salmon to yield more spread. these would go great on anything crunchy!

Blog Archive

Tuesday Tag-Along

Tuesday Tag-Along

Foodie BlogRoll

Followers