Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Mexican lasagna

It is with great reluctance that I let the soups slip back into archival limbo. I didn't conjure up this casserole in my sleep; I did so entirely awake and quite sober. Some years ago I made something like this. Now I had no need of a recipe. I would like to have submitted this as part of an episode of "The Next Iron Chef" on Food Network. I finished this masterpiece just a couple of hours ago and I still remember what's in it. I certainly remember that it has corn tortillas because, as I thought I was ready to start assemble, I realized I had neglected to buy them during my morning grocery run. I didn't use a full size lasagna dish. When I do, Peter and I get sick of it before it's gone. My dish was about half size. Here we go: (Egad, I miss those soups.)

Cut about a dozen tomatillos into 1 inch pieces. Cut up 2 cubanelle peppers about the same. Start this stuff sauteing in a bit of oil. When sizzling nicely, reduce heat to very, very low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.You don't need to add any broth to this; the veg will render a lot of water. Let it cool a bit and then puree it in your food processor.

In another saute pan cook two 8 inch pieces of Mexican chorizo. Puree it. Add it to the sauce. The sauce now turns somewhat reddish due to the annato in the meat. I added some salt, some pepper, some ground guajillo chiles, some garlic.

Don't feel you have to make homemade ricotta from buttermilk just because I did (nyuck, nyuck). Layer corn tortillas (sliced up a bit to cover the size of the casserole) with sauce, ricotta and asadero cheese. I think it took 4 layers for mine.

Bake at 350 covered with foil for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake another 15. Let rest for 5 or 10 and then plunge in.


11 comments:

chow and chatter said...

looks delicious and just noticed your profile :-) nice to see your picture and know more about you :-)

Unknown said...

Sounds delicious, Stephen! Interesting that you puree the chorizo before adding to the sauce... do you use ground chorizo?

Chris said...

Man, that sounds fabulous! Tomatillos are often overlooked but they add so much character to any dish, especially after roasting. And chorizo always rocks.

Unknown said...

love the recipe Stephen... sounds so good and looks delicious... chorizo is the BEST thing ever no?

SavoringTime in the Kitchen said...

Flavors we would love in our home! My husband loves chorizo. Great recipe!

Pam said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pam said...

Arriba! Ole! Love that chorizo and this sounds great!

Unknown said...

love this Mexican twist to lasagne Stephen! I have made a version of this before, but yours sounds more delicious... I must try it next time with the chorizo... delish!

Erica said...

I found your blog and it was a wonderful surprise...That Lasagna looks delicious!

Brownieville Girl said...

Sounds utterly delicious - I can't understand how you could ever become sick of it!!!

Knatolee said...

Mmm, yum. Something to do next summer with my abundant garden tomatillos!

Tuesday Tag-Along

Tuesday Tag-Along

Foodie BlogRoll

Followers