Friday, February 26, 2010

A beautiful steak dinner


While shopping (with my gift card) at Marczyk Fine Foods, an up-scale Denver spot, several days ago, we were treated to a sample of what they call “Pedro” steak. It was delicious and we bought a ¾ lb. piece. It was seasoned with just Montreal grill seasoning. When I went to King Soopers I couldn’t find the Montreal brand. I went with a Kroger house product called Grill Time Spicy Steak. It’s peppery, salty and very flavorful.

Now this Pedro thing is an unusual cut, very similar to flap steak, or flatiron steak. It’s striated with more fat than either of those, but not to the extent that I had to do anything but trim out some grainy looking bits. Pedro is named after the owner, Pete, so don’t try to find it elsewhere.

We had one more portion of fingerling which Peter roasted (as he has before) with some Indian chat seasoning. We also had half a head of cabbage. I cut up half of that and braised it. You only really need salt and pepper and a bit of broth to do the braise, but we had another unique condiment we had brought home from lunch at a middle Eastern restaurant on Wednesday, thum. The restaurant’s owner described it thus: “99 percent garlic with a hint of lemon, olive oil and a touch of whipped egg white.” It is pungent and no adjective I can think of at the moment suffices to describe it. “Wonderful” will have to do.

My steak technique is very simple. Rub with a bit of olive oil, then rub in (energetically) steak seasoning on both sides (no additional salt and pepper was necessary). Then I heated the ridged side of our stove-top grill to screaming hot and cooked it 4 minutes on one side and 3 on the other. That made it pretty rare, but I sliced the more well-cooked ends for Peter and feasted on the rare center.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm a rare steak fan..Chris wants a piece of leather!! Looks fantastic!

Blog Archive

Tuesday Tag-Along

Tuesday Tag-Along

Foodie BlogRoll

Followers