Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Honey and spice grilled chicken


Once again my camera was not near at hand. I’ve recycled the photo above from a previous version of broiled chicken. What I made last night looked just like this.

A couple of days ago two of the bloggers I follow published recipes for honey glazed chicken. I needed to adapt it for my stovetop grill. Also, I wanted bone in and skin on chicken pieces. So as not to have the chicken stick to the grill, I browned it before applying the glaze and then finished it under the broiler.

I had a debate with myself about whether to use breast or thigh meat. Then I remembered how much I like the whole free-range birds from Sunflower Market. Decided to get one and dismantle it. Oops, didn’t have mustard – went with prepared horseradish.

Honey and spice grilled chicken

with kudos to Jenn and Pam
1 chicken, about 4 lbs., backbone removed, cut into 8 pieces (legs, thighs, wings, breasts)

2 tbsp olive oil
Black pepper
¼ cup honey

1 clove garlic, finely minced

juice of ½ lemon

1 tbsp prepared horseradish

1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika

1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper

½ tsp of salt

Start by brining the chicken for 2 hours in 2 cups of water in which 2 tbsp kosher salt have been dissolved. Remove from brine, rinse, dry with paper towels, and sprinkle with some black pepper.
Preheat large skillet over medium-high. Add 1 tbsp olive oil.

Brown chicken on both sides, about 3-4 min. each side.

Preheat broiler with rack in the 2nd position from the top.

While the chicken browns, mix together honey, garlic, lemon juice, horseradish, paprika, cayenne, the other tbsp of olive oil, and salt. Brush the chicken liberally with this mixture on both sides. Place on a baking rack over a shallow baking pan. Broil 5-6 minutes per side until juices run clear.

3 comments:

Pam said...

Oh, this sounds delicious and I love the horseradish being combined with honey and the other ingredients. This is a must try! Thanks for the nod!

Mary Bergfeld said...

This looks and sounds delicious. I love the horseradish you've added to your sauce. Re consistency of sauce: it is thinned like tomato soup. Have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

Unknown said...

Very good on swapping out the mustard for horseradish. I bet that added a nice little kick to it. I'll have to use that next time I made these!

Blog Archive

Tuesday Tag-Along

Tuesday Tag-Along

Foodie BlogRoll

Followers