Thursday, September 16, 2010

Wok-smoked pork chops


Jenn got me so fired up about smoking last weekend that I was keeping my eyes open at Safeway for something I could experiment with in the wok. What turned up were two 1” thick pork chops. Now, bear in mind that I really did not know what I was doing – my previous experience with wok-smoking having been with salmon and catfish. I only got the one picture - my camera needed recharging after one go-round.

I think understand now that smoking in the wok is not a low-and-slow process, it’s “hot” smoking. So, it seems that the protein you put in there will cook in about the same time it would take in the oven. That was true for the fish. I tried turning the burner way down low, but all that did was stop the smoking. I left the chops in way too long. Because we were out of the house much of the afternoon, I did the chops in the morning. Then at dinner time swapped out the wood chips for water and used the wok to steam some heat back into them.

They were tender, very smoky, but somewhat dry. Oh well, this is how we learn. I’m going to post this recipe as the way I think you should do this instead of what I actually did.

Wok-smoked pork chops (2 servings)
2 8-10 oz. bone-in pork chops
salt
pepper
paprika

Line the wok with 2 sheets foil. Soak 1 ½ cups wood chips in water for 30 minutes. While the chips soak, season the chops to taste with the salt, pepper and paprika and let them sit on the counter top.

Turn the burner under the wok to high/med. High (7 on my 1-10 dial). Put the wood chips in and cover the wok. Spray bamboo steamer basket with cooking spray and lay the chops in it. Put on the bamboo cover.

When the smoke appears, put the bamboo basket in the wok (still covered) and replace the wok cover. Reduce the heat to 6 on the dial. Turn the chops after 15 minutes and check for doneness (with the knick of a paring knife) after 30 minutes. Let them stand in the covered basket for 5 minutes before serving.

8 comments:

Pam said...

Smoking in your wok is a great idea! I bet the chops were tasty.

Mary Bergfeld said...

This is really interesting. Have you tried marinating before smoking? Might help. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

Unknown said...

I do love to inspire!! They may have been a bit dry, but they look fantastic!! I love that you can duplicate the smoker effect right on the stove. Kudos my friend, we should do a he smoked, she smoked post some day!!

Pam said...

This sounds great and now I have to try smoking food this way. Maybe a long time marinating would help for the dryness. I smoked the cat fish and it was great! I would've never thought of it before you mentioned it. It was flaky and moist, really good. What kind of wood chips did you use for the chops?

megan @ whatmegansmaking said...

how interesting! I've never heard of wok-smoked anything. It sounds delicious!

Mary Bergfeld said...

I'm just jumping back in to let you know I appreciate your Quick wit :-). Very clever!

Anonymous said...

you shouldnt have too much trouble with dryness when you are smoking. it might be the meat doesn't have a lot of intermuscular you might want to try using a rub and cook longer at a lower temp. thats basically how we smoke our ribs in the oven at my restaurant

magi said...

Great thoughts you got there, believe I may possibly try just some of it throughout my daily life


Wok Cooker

Blog Archive

Tuesday Tag-Along

Tuesday Tag-Along

Foodie BlogRoll

Followers