Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Leftover night

This is not a recipe posting, rather a report on leftovers. The lesson, if there is one, is simply that a person can do so many things with the stuff in those tupperware containers in the fridge.

It’s time to move on from the last posting, the LGBT sandwich.

The greens are kale which we harvested from the garden earlier in the summer, blanched and froze. Once thawed and braised they tasted wonderful. Braising them involved sauteing some onion and garlic and add the kale and some chicken stock, and or course salt and pepper. They take a surprising length of time to tenderize. They are a very hearty green, in the way that collards are. Some people add nutmeg to braised greens. I rarely do, only because I forget to.

We roasted a spaghetti squash the other day but only used half of it. Peter did a great job of sauteing it in butter and oil with one Thai chili pepper (garden again). Then he added some chopped parsley and basil. At the end he added some grated parmesan. My job was to cook the shrimp.

These were 31-40’s, a size that is cost-effective and cooks very quickly. Most of the time when we use ramen noodles we don’t use the flavoring packet. We do save them though. In this case I brought 2 cups of water to a boil, stirred in the contents of a chicken flavor packet, added the shrimp, and let them steep off the heat for 3 minutes. That’s all it took.

So have a look in that fridge of yours. Don’t be like we used to be and ignore those little containers until they start sprouting mold. Bon appetit!

3 comments:

Pam said...

Sounds like a tasty dinner of leftovers.

Pam said...

Leftovers are great and you did them up perfectly! I haven't had kale in ages and must correct that. I just looked in my fridge and saw gravlax...

Unknown said...

I used to hate dealing with leftovers...but now that I'm not so scared of a little adventure in the kitchen, I love to use them! I think people tend to forget that you don't have to use the leftovers in the same way...great little post!

Blog Archive

Tuesday Tag-Along

Tuesday Tag-Along

Foodie BlogRoll

Followers