Saturday, November 6, 2010

Ricotta gnocchi a la Mark Bittman



I switched horses with regard to what I was planning to do with my homemade ricotta. Instead of a type of soup, I decided to make gnocchi following the directions of Mark Bittman from a recent issue of the NY Times’ dining section. The recipe below is as printed, but I had to do some math to adjust for the fact that I had less ricotta than called for. Thank heavens I have a calculator.

These turned out to be little ping-pong sized fluffs of delicate tastiness. Bear in mind that a 1/3 recipe made enough for a sufficient dinner for 2.

Ricotta gnocchi a la Mark Bittman
15 oz. ricotta
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 ½ cups parmesan, grated
large pinch of salt
1 cup all-purpose flour
basil pesto

Combine ricotta, eggs, parmesan, salt and flour in a bowl. If it seems to wet, add a bit more flour. If it seems too dry, add just a bit of warm water. The dough should be sticky.

Bring a pot of water to boil. Add a generous amount of salt (the same as if you were cooking pasta). Drop about a tablespoon of the dough at a time into the boiling water. They are done when they float.

We defrosted some home-grown basil pesto to dress them with.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Ooohhhh...this gnocchi sounds so easy to make. I've made it once a few years back and you had to sort of form the dough and cut the pieces..... this is WAY easier! mmmmmm...a little pesto on top...Yum!

Chris said...

I love when I find a recipe like this and I just happen to have all the ingredients on hand. Except my pesto is roasted red pepper pesto, but that should work, don't you think?

Create. Snap. Eat. said...

You go! I have had such terrible luck with gnocchi. But, then again, I haven't tried to make it from scratch.

Pam said...

You make it seem so easy and it sounds great! I recently had gnocchi for the first time and now must try making it. This is a go!

Mallory Hall said...

Made this last night delicious! Made more than my hobby and I could eat. Very light. I served it with Kale pesto instead.

Blog Archive

Tuesday Tag-Along

Tuesday Tag-Along

Foodie BlogRoll

Followers