Sunday, March 4, 2012

The evolution of a pot roast



When I found a 4.25 lb piece of chuck steak at half off last week I snatched it up and sped all the way home. Okay, I snatched it up, but I didn't speed. What was the rush, it had to roast for 3 hours? I didn't know it at the time, but this magnificent hunk of meat would evolve over the course of a week into chili con carne and ultimately fabulous chili dogs.



The initial roasting was a hybrid of 1950's-style and 21st century style. A can of Campbell's soup (it was a form of chicken noodle), a sliced onion, salt and pepper and broth. 3 hours in a 275 degree oven and it was fork tender. We ate two dinners from that roast and then I turned it into chili by incorporating some tomato, beans, some jalapeno. I also strained the broth and thickened it with some flour to make a gravy.
Finally I chopped the meat very fine and we ate chili dogs for two lunches. The dogs were wonderful German-style Johnsonville brats. Man, we love those things.


All in all we got huge value from that chuck steak. It doesn't hurt that we don't eat very large quantities of food anymore.

10 comments:

Create. Snap. Eat. said...

Ooh! Chili con carne and ultimately fabulous chili dogs?! I didn't realize pot roast was so versatile.

Unknown said...

love a bit of tender cheap meat... slow roast... lasts for so long... heavenly!

Unknown said...

I love that you can take one hunk of meat and turn it into so many fabulous dishes! Definitely getting your monies worth with that purchase!

Anonymous said...

This is great - I happened to make a pot roast last night - all the meat went but I have plans for the sauce - your leftovers look irresistable
Mary

Unknown said...

sounds utterly delicious. I love buying cheaper cuts of meats. After slow roasting/cooking they become so tender. I fancy a bit of chilli dogs at the moment now you mentioned it :)

chow and chatter said...

that was a good buy :-) you got some great meals out of it

Shu Han said...

tender slow-roasted meat, mmmm. I love how that one chunk of meat turned into a few meals!

StephenC said...

I'm posting a comment on my own blog because I want to see if I successfully disabled those mother-grabbing word verification things. Pay no attention to this.

Knatolee said...

You sure know how to make the most of a pot roast. Yum!

Chris said...

It can't evolve there's no such thing as evolution because it's not in the bible. It was created that way. ;)

Sorry, couldn't help but be snarky, ha ha.

I think Darwin would approve. Of course it's a well known fact that he loved chili dogs. Well okay, dogs, since his affinity for the Beagle.

Boy, I am just full of misinformation today, aren't I? I blame it on the antihistamines.

Tuesday Tag-Along

Tuesday Tag-Along

Foodie BlogRoll

Followers