Thursday, November 1, 2012

The potato, the mung bean, and the fried cake

 No, this is not a pre-quel to "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes." No tomatoes were harmed in the making of this dish. (One dog did turn himself completely inside out trying to jump onto the stove.)

Dramatis personae: a potato, microwaved in anticipation of Sandy coming for dinner; one cup of mung beans supplied by Whole Foods without yours truly having a clue what to do with them; a bit of onion and a bit of green bell pepper; an egg; a bit of hunger.

Many years ago I was fond of sprouting mung beans between damp paper towels. I got over that.

The mungs cook fairly quickly: about 20 minutes in 3 parts broth to 1 part beans. They do not require soaking. (Heck, I should have put a whole slew of beans out to soak during the hurricane.)

If I had it to do over, I'd call this "fun food part one." (Oh, did I mention the 1/3 cup of sour cream?)




3 comments:

chow and chatter said...

these look awesome great use of mung beans I want to see a pic of your nails with polish on he he

Unknown said...

Very lovely looking cakes though have never been convinced by the mung.

Chris said...

I've never had mung beans although I have had the sprouts plenty of times. Those potato cakes sound good, even if you didn't share with Sandy.

Blog Archive

Tuesday Tag-Along

Tuesday Tag-Along

Foodie BlogRoll

Followers