Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Eggs poached in buttery sorrel sauce

A couple of tidbits: when I made tacos (two nights in a row) I heated the flour tortillas right on the electric stove burners. About 10 seconds per side made them nice and hot and gave them a delicious bit of char; today’s recipe involves sorrel, a wonderful new discovery for me – I trimmed their stems, chopped them fine and added them to my second batch of pico de gallo.



Last night we made, for a second time, a marvelous dish (adapted from the NY Times), eggs with sorrel and butter. The recipe called for a considerable quantity of sorrel. We wanted to spread ours thinner and so used less. Sorrel is wonderfully lemony. The stems should be removed (they are thin and crunchy and can be used as a garnish for this or another dish).

I added just a tablespoon or so of finely diced Spanish chorizo and altered the original cooking time to satisfy our preferences regarding the runniness of the egg yolks. Also, I used ramps in place of scallions.

Eggs poached in buttery sorrel sauce
2 tbsp unsalted butter
2 fat scallions, white and green parts chopped
1 heaping tbsp finely diced Spanish chorizo
1 oz. sorrel, stems removed and reserved
salt and pepper to taste
¼ cup heavy cream
4 large eggs
chili flakes
buttered toast for serving
sorrel stems for garnish (optional)
parsley for garnish (optional)

In a skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add scallions and chorizo and sauté about 2 minutes.

Add sorrel leaves and salt and pepper and toss for about 1 minute.

Add cream and bring to a simmer.

Add 4 eggs to the pan in a single layer. Lower heat to medium low, sprinkle with salt and pepper, cover the pan and cook until the whites are set. Remove from the heat and let stand covered until yolks get to your desired level of doneness.

In the meantime chopped the sorrel stems very fine (if using). Serve the eggs in heated bowls with or on toast and garnish with the stems or chopped parsley.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I've never had or used sorrel...I even had to look it up to be sure of what you writing about! BUT these eggs look and sound delicious! I just may have to see if I can find some. I'm an egg lover though, and done right, I could eat poached eggs every day! Great..now I'm hungry!!

Blog Archive

Tuesday Tag-Along

Tuesday Tag-Along

Foodie BlogRoll

Followers