We were excited to have a batch of fiddlehead ferns still to enjoy. I did a freezer inventory (I’d gotten way behind) and when I found a package of pork I went for pork burgers. The pork was some kind of chop cut but was quite fatty. I trimmed it thoroughly and ground it in the food processor. Then I put in everything I could think of for flavor.
Along with the ferns we had some real nice quinoa. I don’t know why I don’t cook quinoa more ofter – it’s supposedly very healthful and it cooks very much like rice. Here’s a caveat though. The last two times I’ve cooked it, the proportion of 2 parts liquid to 1 part quinoa (from the package instructions) seems wrong. It’s supposed to cook in 15 minutes, but after that time the liquid wasn’t absorbed. I took the lid off and increased the heat. After a couple of minutes it was better. I still had to use a slotted spoon to serve it. The next time I’m going to change the proportion to about 1 cup quinoa to 1 2/3 cup broth or water.
Pork burgers (for 2)
14 oz. ground pork
2 scallions, white and green parts chopped
1 tsp smoked Spanish paprika
1 tsp dried oregano
½ tsp each powdered garlic and onion powder
salt and pepper to taste
2 tbsp olive oil
Mix everything in a bowl. Take about a teaspoon’s worth and nuke it for 20 seconds and taste for seasoning. Form the pork mixture into 2 burgers.
Heat the olive oil in a skillet. When hot, add the burgers. Cook about 5 minutes per side. After flipping the burgers put slices of cheese on top if you wish. We used fontina.
- ► 2013 (41)
- ► 2012 (78)
- ► 2011 (131)
- Peter's antipasto calzone
- Chili dogs
- Philly cheesesteak and shrimp with tasso
- Steak de Burgo and Steakhouse hash browns
- Warm duck over microgreens
- The Garden
- Turkey soup
- NOT your usual Vietnamese banh mi sandwich
- My only regret about yesterday’s foodie lunch is t...
- The FEDUPs Feast
- Roast turkey breast
- Chicken vindaloo
- Kimchi and sauerkraut (both homemade)
- Pictured here: catfish, fresh sautéed organic spi...
- Eggs poached in buttery sorrel sauce
- Mushroom soup and tacos (eclecticism rules)
- Roast pork and the great tater tot NOT experiment
- Baked cod with barlotto
- Jen's grilled potatoes
- Eggdrop soup
- Pork burgers
- Turkey risotto
- ▼ May (23)
- ► 2009 (55)