Thursday, August 26, 2010

Chicken breast skewers



In my haste to get to the dinner table I postponed taking a photo til after the dishes were done. The above is what was left after we chowed down.

Having seen a number of posting involving skewers recently, I had been waiting for just the right thing to come along. Then it happened. Strips of chicken breast on sale. I had no idea exactly what I was going to do, but just got to work. First I needed to come up with a marinade – did so. I wanted to use up some bell pepper – did so. I wanted something that would go with the angel hair pasta (leftovers) in the fridge – did so. I wanted fun food – got it! I wanted to use my stovetop grill – did so.

Chicken breast skewers
10 oz. boneless skinless chicken breast, sliced in strips
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tbsp Chinese rice wine
pinch of red pepper flakes
½ tsp black pepper
1 green bell pepper, cut into ¼’s
pinches each of salt and black peppeer

Put first 4 ingredients into a Ziploc freezer bag and refrigerate for an hour or considerably more.

Preheat stovetop grill over medium high heat. (This requires a bit of explanation. The left burners on our electric stove are hotter than the ones on the right – on purpose I think. The rear burner is smaller than the front. Therefore the setting for this – given that the grill covers both burners – was 6 for the front and 7 for the back.)

Rub the pepper pieces with some olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Put them on the back of the grill with a tent of foil over them. Let them go for 5 minutes before continuing. Skewer the chicken strips and lay them on the grill. It will take only a couple of minutes per side for them to cook through.

When the chicken is done, set it aside and tent with foil. Turn the peppers frequently until tender. Then cut into strips to garnish the chicken. Serve this over something: rice, noodles, etc.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nicely done! The marinade sounds simple and perfect. I loved that you succeeded in doing all that you set out to do! Delicious!

Blog Archive

Tuesday Tag-Along

Tuesday Tag-Along

Foodie BlogRoll

Followers