Friday, August 20, 2010

Pierogis


Here's something you don't see every day. These little dumplings, sort of eastern European ravioli, are not something I would make from scratch. As it happens, however, we ate at a wonderful Chinese restaurant (wontons are very pierogi-like), down the strip mall from which is a Ukrainian market. That's where we got the pierogis - a 3-lb. bag (frozen) for $3.99/lb. Generally speaking, about 12 oz. will serve the two of us, so there are at least 3 meals there.




No need for me to post a recipe. All you do is bring a big pot of water to a boil, salt it the way you would for pasta, and put the pierogis in until they float to the top - about 6 minutes. They can be eaten with various condiments, from carmelized onions, to butter, or, in our case a lovely dipping sauce Peter came up with. It included yogurt, lemon juice, salt and pepper, garlic and fresh basil. It was a comforting and satisfying meal.

5 comments:

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

that's a great price! I would have bought them up, too. I like the new layout to your blog Stephen, very nice!

Mary Bergfeld said...

They are a steal at that price and they look delicious. I love the new dwsign for your blog, Stephen. It works really well. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings...Mary

Create. Snap. Eat. said...

How curious. I have never had these before. Nice price. I'll have to keep an eye out for them here.

Cook with Madin said...

I never had pierogis, for sure I would love to try them. I like the sauce that Peter came up with.

Unknown said...

My mom use to make pierogis and sausage all the time when I was a kid. I so did love them. And I'm with everyone else...kick ass price!

Blog Archive

Tuesday Tag-Along

Tuesday Tag-Along

Foodie BlogRoll

Followers