Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Macho gazpacho




Ok, this is going to be somewhat vague. In the past when I’ve made gazpacho I’ve made a big batch. This time I wanted it to serve us a solid dinner and be gone. I almost succeeded. No gazpacho is ever quite the same. There are so many things that can go into it. So I just make do with what I think is important.

All the tomatoes (from our garden) were cherry size, so I did not bother to remove the skins. Besides, I’m sure there’s nutrients in there, not to mention fiber. (But I did mention fiber.) The beans are from a can labeled “Navy beans.” That conjures up something bigger than what these were. They’re petit little white beans. Any beans will do. And they can be eliminated. Here goes:

Macho gazpacho
2 cups or so little tomatoes
¼ cup tomato sauce
1 – 1 ½ cups veggie juice or V8, low sodium is probably a good idea
1 tsp garlic powder, or fresh garlic – I was lazy
1 tsp black pepper
½ red bell pepper, chopped fine
½ jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
2 Hatch chilis, seeded and chopped
½ 14 oz. can beans, more or less
Garnishes: 1 hard boiled egg, sliced; juice of ½ a lime, or more to taste; croutons (or, because of my last name, I like to call them Crout-ons); ½ avocado, sliced; crumbled feta cheese.

Put the first 5 ingredients into the food processor. Put half each of the bell pepper and jalapeno in there too.

Pulse until it’s the texture you like. I like it soupy but still with some texture. Add more veggie juice if you want it thinner. Remove to a glass bowl (non-reactive). Stir in the remaining jalapeno, bell pepper and the beans.

Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour or two or even overnight. Remove from the fridge about 30 minutes before servings. Put it into bowls, garnish, and head on in face first.












4 comments:

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

WOW Congratulations on the Denver Post accolades!!! That is so cool! Wow I'm right down the I, I wish they'd notice me, too LOL :)

This gazpacho sounds fantastic Stephen! I love the spicy pepper addition, YUM!

Unknown said...

You ROCK Stephen! That is so amazing that you got noticed by the Denver Post. Congratulations! You are so deserving of it!! I'll toast you when I pour myself a glass of wine tonight!
I have a confession to make, I have never had gazpacho before. Crazy, I know, but true. This looks and sounds wonderful though... spicy.. me likes spicy!!

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

One of my absolute favorite dishes ever. Looks delicious. Glad you found me and I get to come back and meet you! I'll be back again soon.

Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner
www.mawhats4dinner.com

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

Newest follower by the way!

Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner
www.mawhats4dinner.com

Blog Archive

Tuesday Tag-Along

Tuesday Tag-Along

Foodie BlogRoll

Followers