Tuesday, July 26, 2011

2011 Epiphanies - day 3 (the "recipe whisperer" is in)






A few months ago Bo (http://www.bos-bowl.com/) gave me a verbal tutorial about grits and then did the extraordinarily gesture of sending me both some "quick" grits and some "slow" stone ground grits. They are one of the most magical things to happen this year. Peter and I ate them date after day, polishing off the quick grits and we still have some stone ground ones in the fridge. It was not only a tremendously generous gesture on Bo's part, but opened a window in our culinary consciousness we didn't even know was closed.

The "recipe whisperer" is still available for requests to alter, improve things you may have an aversion to. For my part I still want to know if there is a secret to making whole wheat pasta edible, and, more ambitiously, I'd like a simple recipe for homemade menudo. I received a recipe for red cabbage this morning from pegasuslegend which is absolutlely going to appear on my table very soon.




7 comments:

Unknown said...

I think the one trick to making whole wheat pasta edible is the brand :) Have you tried whole grain pasta? I can even get Chris to eat that :)

Bo said...

I agree with Jenn the brand of pasta makes a big difference...and the sauce must be tomato based...less robust sauces just don't cut it. Try the Barilla Plus pasta...I'm not sure if it's completely whole grain...it's made out of barley, legumes, flax, oats, etc. It's doesn't taste bad.

Mary Bergfeld said...

Whole wheat pasta doesn't work with everything. It needs a sauce that can fight with it. I only use it with tomato based sauces. I know I'm bad and I am hanging my head in shame, but I honestly don't believe it works with everything. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Meg Luby said...

i am sad to lose you as a follower! i'm sorry if my comic offended you or something negative. i swear, food is coming this week. harry potter themed party? i suppose i get that the geekiness and ADD can be hard to follow though.

anyway! you won't lose me as a follower even if i lose you! thanks for reading until this point!!
-meg
@ http://clutzycooking.blogspot.com

Pam said...

I worship stone ground grits; could eat some every day but would never ever touch the instant stuff. I don't get ww pasta at all, tastes like cardboard I imagine. Now if cilantro would just disappear from all the recipes!

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

Quick grits? Isn't that sacrilege? I've never attempted to make my own, but looooove when I've had them down south. Maybe I'll give them a try...

Thanks for the brining tip. I've brined my chicken and a turkey at thanksgiving but pork chops???? Great idea. I'm sure I'll be a convert!

Can't wait to try it.

Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner
www.mawhats4dinner.com

Chris said...

Grits are a favorite of ours but you know that. I call them "hearty polenta", ha ha.

Blog Archive

Tuesday Tag-Along

Tuesday Tag-Along

Foodie BlogRoll

Followers