Monday, June 25, 2012

Saturday saturnalia



I had other plans for Saturday's dinner until, much to my surprise, I espied a lovely duck breast at the Giant. I've cooked whole ducks quite a number of times, but breast alone only a couple of times. There's nothing complex about it: score the fat in a diamond pattern; render it for 6-8 minutes, pouring off the fat halfway through; turn it over to the lean side and saute about 3-4 more minutes; let it rest; slice it and serve.



The zucchini rounds are the one sure-fire method for cooking this ubiquitous (as in it may take over the world some summer) veg. I was too lazy to do the flour, egg, crumb thing. I salted the rings and let them exude moisture for a half hour while I was doing other things. Gave them a quick rinse and dried them well. Seasoned them with salt, pepper and paprika and saute in butter and oil for 3 minutes per side (until nicely colored).



We had a couple of boxes of middle eastern grain preparations in the pantry. I chose the one with couscous and just did what the box told me to do.






4 comments:

Kitchen Belleicious said...

i have never cooked a duck breast before but would love to give it a try. I am sure it is delicious

Unknown said...

I adore duck - although I've only made it once and it was a full roasted duck - will have to see if I can find a breast next time I'm at the store. And I love how you did the zucchini, if I don't grill them, that is pretty much how I prepare them. Simple and delicious!

Mary Bergfeld said...

That duck breast looks amazing! You have the knack, Stephen :-). I love to visit here and it is great to have you posting again. Have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

Chris said...

I just learned a trick for treating my zucchini before grilling. That presalting, rerinse, and then drying off for good searing is a great idea.

Tuesday Tag-Along

Tuesday Tag-Along

Foodie BlogRoll

Followers