Sunday, June 10, 2012

A loaf of bread ...



What a whimsial discovery. A loaf made from breadstick dough? Who knew? When I firsr tried to make the breadsticks the way I was supposed to, the dough was so sticky I ended up with mis-shapen long skinny blobs. Oh, and I burned them to death and had to start over. Then one day, about two weeks ago, the 5-watt bulb went off in my head and I said to myself, "Self, why not leave that sticky dough stuck together and see if it turns into a loaf of bread. It DID!!! I had to follow my own invented plan. The dough went into a well-buttered loaf pan and was pressed in to fill it from edge to edge. It was then covered with plastic touching the surface and left sitting on the counter for a couple of hours. It rose a bit, but not a lot. More guesswork: I heated my oven to 400 degrees and baked the dough for 14 minutes. The loaf that emerged from the oven was a thing of beauty and, when tasted, was yet again beautiful. From now on I go back to making my breadsticks with puff pastry and cute loaves of bread from the breadstick dough. I will be serving several loaves of it at a picnic I am catering Friday evening for 33 guests. Wish me luck!!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wait - that's brilliant - you mean you can make bread without dealing with the yeast issue?
Mary

Unknown said...

Fantastic discovery! Can't wait to try this new little gem!

Kitchen Belleicious said...

hey the best things happen in the kitchen sometimes because of mistakes! Love this bread

Chris said...

That is why leave the baking nonsense to Alexis, ha ha.

Glad to see you're back from your break.

The Hobbit said...

So behind in my reading Don't you just love it when you make a great tasting time saving discovery? Thanks for sharing with us.

Tuesday Tag-Along

Tuesday Tag-Along

Foodie BlogRoll

Followers