Friday, November 9, 2012

Kimchi, a little dab'll do ya


When I espied a beautiful large head of napa cabbage at the market yesterday I knew it was destined to become kimchi. If you don't know what kimchi is, you will now understand the value of wikipedia (but only if you go there).

I was well into adulthood (I hear some friends snickering) before I could appreciate this preserved vegetable concoction. It's a perfect diet food (I know, I know, I promised not to mention the diet every day, but the early days are the easiest - you lose some water - and 4 pounds I might add). Hardly any calories to speak of, no fat, some spice (to taste), and a side dish/condiment that will last all winter in your fridge.

There are as many ways to make kimchi as there are to make chili or potato salad. I've made it maybe a dozen times, and never the same way twice. The napa is chopped and salted (maybe 2 Tbs total for the entire head), weighted down in a bowl and left overnight. (It's a good idea to cover it with a towel to keep out any detritus floating around your house.) Then drain and save the salty water that will have accumulated. Add other vegetation (scallions, carrots, and radishes for me). Add something spicy. I use chili/garlic paste. Toss the whole thing thoroughly, taste it for spice and adjust as you see fit, re-cover it and, except for tossing it once daily, leave it alone for one week. Now refrigerate it and start noshing it as you desire.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, heading out to find a cabbage
Mary x

Unknown said...

Sounds fantastic. Though I must tone the chilli down a bit :) I like my kimchi just warm, not burning...
Good luck with the diet. You can do it!

Unknown said...

Love the amount of spice you use in this! I've had some mellow kimchi and some spicy kimchi before and I'm so much more fond of the spicy ones. Especially on a good sandwich!!

Chris said...

Kimchi rocks. It just leaves you hurting the next morning if you are spice adverse. Beano is your friend!

Anonymous said...

He had 20 goals and 44 assists in 50 games with a plus-14 rating. [url=http://www.mulberryhandbagssale.co.uk]Mulberry Bayswater Bags[/url] But that is a topic for another article.. [url=http://www.goosecoatsale.ca]canada goose outlet[/url] Lijhzrsqa
[url=http://www.pandorajewelryvip.co.uk]pandora outlet[/url] Zugwcpqhj [url=http://www.officialcanadagooseparkae.com]canada goose jacket sale[/url] ikepusonr

Blog Archive

Tuesday Tag-Along

Tuesday Tag-Along

Foodie BlogRoll

Followers