Friday, November 2, 2012

Pop goes the pork chop (into the microwave)


You've got 20 minutes and your time starts now!




Tonight I felt I was the sole contestant on "Chopped," competing against myself to get a 3-course meal on the table in front of both myself and my spouse, Peter.

Contrary to my usual MO I researched microwaved pork chops via Google. I saw numerous recipes, every one of which called for a cook time at least four times as long as I deemed necessary. I had brined these suckers for 4 hours - I wanted them tender - I didn't want the meat to seize up the way it does in a frying pan - they were only 1/2" thick for Pete's sake.

Paprika gave the thin little devils some color; no salt was needed due to the brining; a bit of garlic powder and black pepper rounded out the flavor profile. Now stand back for the cook time, bearing in mind that I was doing two 5-6 oz bone-in chops.

1 minute 30 seconds on each side (they were uncovered on a plate). Then, covered, a 5 minute rest period. From now on I may never cook pork chops any other way. Tender and tasty and tantalizing and terrifyingly good. (Can a pork chop be alliterative?)

2 comments:

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

I have to try this because, well just because! 3 min in the microwave - yeah I can see how that would be perfect on a thin cut chop. I'll be trying this I have no doubt :)

Create. Snap. Eat. said...

I love your innovation! I have never tried this.

Blog Archive

Tuesday Tag-Along

Tuesday Tag-Along

Foodie BlogRoll

Followers