Saturday, January 12, 2013

There's no "V" in lasagna (oh, yeah?)


Maybe two weeks ago I warned the blogosphere (that includes you) of Jenn's impending use of the "V" word at her place, jennsfoodjourney. If you click on that link right now you may still catch her recipe, chicken queso pasta. Her casual, unremarkable, confident inclusion of not only Velveeta, but Ro-tel, should be a model of the "just lay it out there" school of recipe sharing. No headlines, no hype for the Official Cheese of the 50's, just matter-of-fact presentation. That's what I meant to do here, except now I'm blowing the whole thing out of proportion. Okay, what I've done is to make a big tray of lasagna with a hefty layer of Velveeta in a middle layer and served it to my spouse, and a lady of a certain age who just got back from the hospital following a minor heart attack and an angioplasty. Our fourth was her son who had bused his way down from Pittsburgh to DC to be with her for a few days. Bottom line: everyone had seconds. No one asked any embarrassing questions about ingredients. I will go to my grave with it as my secret since I know none of you are blabbermouths.

If you are wondering when I am going to get around to the recipe, well, I'm not really going to. You all have your lasagna designs, handed down from grandma to ma to y'all. In short, I used a pound of ground turkey, a 28 oz can of whole romas, a 14 oz can of tomato sauce, garlic, salt and pepper, and four cheeses: ricotta, mozzarella, parmesan, and the hero of the day, Velveeta. Oh, and I used real, grownup noodles, not those wimpy no-boil things. (Go ahead, make my day, tell me I'm an idiot.)

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the shout out, as always! But my post was nothing compared to this one. Velveeta in lasagna? Who would have even imagined such a thing? Oh, wait, you did, of course :) I think it sounds delicious and I can't wait to try it myself!!

Pam said...

What's not to like about this and the cheese of the 50's? Sounds great and I wouldn't have told the secret ingredient either. Kind of funny, good that with the cheese, the meat was turkey, for the recovering lady! Be nice to Jenn!

Chris said...

I am not ashamed to have Velveeta in my pantry. What? Behind 3 cans of beans and a bag of flour? That's just incidental, I'm not hiding it...

seriously, I love it in my Mac and Cheese but never thought about sneaking it into lasagna like this. Tempted.

Anonymous said...

Velveeta is cheese (almost) cheese is delicious - lasanga is a winner so all this works beautifully!
Mary x

Kitchen Belleicious said...

No idiot? Just a genius! I love that you used my favorite easy cheese- velvetta! I must try this out

Blog Archive

Tuesday Tag-Along

Tuesday Tag-Along

Foodie BlogRoll

Followers