Monday, May 3, 2010

Eggdrop soup



A couple of years ago I finally cracked the code for making egg drop soup. I accomplished this with the assistance of Google. I don’t think a day goes by that I don’t google something or someone. What an amazing resource.

The secret lay in the technique used when “dropping” the egg into the broth. There are just two important things. First, whisk the broth vigorously in a circle, thus creating a little whirlpool in the pan. Second, drizzle in the egg through the tines of a fork held over the rotating broth, not in the center, but at the edge of the whirlpool. The egg cooks almost instantly and the soup should be served at once.It is also best to whisk the egg vigorously to liquefy it.

Egg drop soup (2 first course servings)
2 cups chicken broth
½ cup water
1 scallion, white and green parts chopped
¼ cup frozen peas
1 large egg, beaten
salt and pepper to taste
juice of 1/3 lemon
Add a little salt and pepper to the egg
Bring the broth to a boil in a saucepan. Salt and pepper to taste.
Whisk the broth in a single direction with a circular motion to get it moving in a circle. At once drizzle in the egg through the tines of a dinner fork. Add the lemon juice and peas.

Serve immediately garnished with scallions.

2 comments:

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Your method on dropping the eggs is how I was taught by my home ec teacher a hundred years ago. Works every time! I like the flavors you've paired with this. I could kick myself, I debated on scallions in the store today and didn't get them. too bad. but I do have chives, maybe I'll use those and make this soup tonight. It'd be great on this warm night!

Unknown said...

I love eggdrop soup! Thanks for the tip on how to drop it in successfully, I've never had good luck with, hence the reason I never make it. My mom use to make it with lipton chicken noodle soup mix, so I thought how hard could it be right? lol... I found out quickly it can turn into a disaster! You even make it sound easy! :)

Blog Archive

Tuesday Tag-Along

Tuesday Tag-Along

Foodie BlogRoll

Followers