Saturday, May 8, 2010

Roast pork and the great tater tot NOT experiment

Jenn (http://jensfoodjourney.blogspot.com/) and I conversed about tater tots the other day. I determined to try making them from scratch and baking them instead of frying.

With the assistance of Google I found a recipe which, with a little tweaking, sounded promising. Well, it wasn't. What I ended up with didn't resemble tater tots at all - more like latkes. They were actually quite good, just not what was intended. I even accidentally deleted the pix from my camera. Probably a Freudian slip. I've got another idea - radically different, but a possibility. Stay tuned.

Yesterday afternoon was dedicated to making a pork roast. In the spirit of the 50's-style pot roast from a couple of months ago I made up this recipe.


The pork is shown here with a side of leftover barlotto.

Roast pork
4 lb. pork shoulder blade roast (bone in)
salt and pepper
1/2 onion
1 14 oz. can hominy, drained
2 stalks celery, cut into 2" pieces
2 small dried red Mexican chili peppers, whole
2 large cloves garlic, sliced
1 1/2 14 oz. can chicken stock
1 can cream of celery soup concentrate

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

Liberally salt and pepper the roast on all sides. Place in it a Dutch oven.

Scatter onion, hominy, celery, red peppers and garlic around the roast. Add chicken stock.

Pour celery soup (undiluted) on the top of the roast.

Cover and put in the oven for 1 hour. Reduce temp to 275 degrees and continue baking for 2 more hours. Check for doneness. If necessary (probably not) roast for an additional 1/2 hour. Remove the Dutch oven from the oven and let stand covered for 30 minutes before serving.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Funny, I've accidentally deleted photos of things that didn't quite turn out too!! When I tried to make the tater tots that what they ended up being more like...puffed up hash browns is that I called them at the time. LOL Oh, well..the point is you tried! Do you think you can actually get them to turn out, or is the consensus that they will only turn out if you fry them?

Blog Archive

Tuesday Tag-Along

Tuesday Tag-Along

Foodie BlogRoll

Followers