Monday, May 17, 2010

Roast turkey breast


Remember when I bought that 20 lb. turkey the day after Easter? I didn’t think so. I dismantled it into its component parts, the last of which, half of the breast (bone in), I just thawed out for tonight’s dinner. I found an odd recipe via Google that I’m going to adapt.

As for the mushrooms listed below, they were left over from my mushroom soup last weekend. Decided to throw them into the gravy. Oops, the turkey took so long to cook that I saved the pan drippings and skipped making gravy.

Accompaniments: grilled potatoes and a salad (with a tip of the hat to http://jensfoodjourney.blogspot.com/.

Roasted turkey breast
½ large turkey breast, 3-4 lbs. (skin on, bone in)
fresh sage leaves
10 oz. chicken broth
4 oz. unsalted butter
2 tbsp mayonnaise

Brine the turkey for several hours. Rinse well and dry with paper towels.

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.

Loosen the skin of the turkey breast slightly and insert a few sage leaves under it.

Melt the butter in the microwave and stir it and the chicken stock together.

Put the turkey onto a roasting pan with 1” sides. Pour the stock and butter over it.

Rub the mayo all over it.

Roast for 1 hour and then increase oven temp to 350 degrees. When the internal temp is 160 degrees, remove to your cutting board, tent loosely with foil, and allow to rest for 15 minutes.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh I bet that turkey was nice and moist. Funny how mayo lends to that! YUM! The plate of food looks fantastic! Great job on the potatoes...aren't they just so simple? And you can flavor them with any spices you want...even turn them into wedges instead of rounds. I love versatile recipes!

Blog Archive

Tuesday Tag-Along

Tuesday Tag-Along

Foodie BlogRoll

Followers