Thursday, March 17, 2011

Celery soup with other stuff you'd not think of using




Allright, what is he up to now? Oh, about 5'9". When I read "One Perfect Bite" this morning I was taken with Mary's "green" foods. She was one of the only bloggers posting anything remotely related to St. Patrick's Day. One of her recipes was double celery soup (including both celeriac and celery). I don't have any celeriac, but I do have a full head of celery. Then, as I was dismantling a chicken, I got this idea: saute the liver and the tenders and incorporate them in a celery soup. It may sound weird, but it's really good. I was making chicken stock when I got this idea. That's a good thing because I didn't have any broth in the house. If you just can't abide the idea of the chicken liver, leave it out. Nobody's holding a gun to your head!




Thank you, Mary, for the loan of the photo. (Visit her at http://oneperfectbite.blogspot.com/)


Celery soup with chicken liver and tenders
2 tbsp butter
1 tsp olive oil
2 chicken livers, finely chopped
2 chicken tenders, finely chopped
garlic powder
onion powder
salt
pepper
10 stalks celery, in 1" pieces
4 cups chicken stock
celery salt to taste
pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)

Heat the butter and oil in a skillet. Saute the liver and tenders until just cooked through, 3-4 minutes. Sprinkle with garlic and onion powders and a bit of salt and pepper.

Use a vegetable peeler to remove the outer strings from the thickest pieces of celery. Cut into 1" pieces. Place in the stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer very slowly until the celery is tender, about 20 minutes.

Add in the cooked liver and tenders. Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve it right up, maybe with a few pieces of crusty bread.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow.. ok, add some chicken livers and tenders to celery soup and I just might eat it :)

Mary Bergfeld said...

I am actually loving your changes to this recipe. Sounds mighty good to me. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Blog Archive

Tuesday Tag-Along

Tuesday Tag-Along

Foodie BlogRoll

Followers