Thursday, March 10, 2011

Poached fish balls



Ok, this ain't my fish balls. It's a shareware image. I won't bore you with my camera situation. For the moment though, those things up there actually are fish balls.
We last visited fish balls on the day that the dog, Frida (I misspelled it before), ate them before I could cook them. The trauma of that event has passed and I'm ready to “roll” again. I had a debate with myself for most of a day as to what method I would use to cook them: bake, steam, poach, or wok-smoke. In the end poaching won out, simply because it seemed to me the be the simplest choice. There was also to choice of fish to consider. I think my previous version was catfish and shrimp. This one was tilapia and shrimp. Side dishes included sauteed baby spinach and a turnip puree.

Fish balls
¼ lb. shrimp, peeled and de-veined
1/2 lb. tilapia filet
1 tbsp flour
2 scallions, white and green parts finely chopped
1-2 tbsp Shiaoxing cooking wine (optional)
1 tbsp mayonnaise
½ tsp onion powder
½ tsp garlic powder
salt and pepper to taste
½ tsp sesame oil
2 cups chicken stock

Cut the shrimp and tilapia into 1” pieces and place them in the bowl of the food processor. Add the remaining ingredients except the chicken stock. Pulse to chop the fish and combine everything. Don't puree the fish completely, stop short of that. With wet hands, form the mixture into 12 balls.

Bring the chicken stock to a boil. Carefully drop in the fish balls. When the stock comes back to a simmer, turn the balls, cover the pan and let it sit for 5-6 more minutes before serving with rice, orzo, or some other favorite thing of yours.


3 comments:

Pam said...

I've never had this dish before... they sound tasty.

Unknown said...

I definitely need to try this. I mean, come on, you even used tilapia!!! :)

Pam said...

It sounds really good. I've never had fish balls and need to try it. Your dishes are never ordinary, that's for sure; always something pretty amazing. How's that comparison with the salmon,tuna and of course, spam, going?

Blog Archive

Tuesday Tag-Along

Tuesday Tag-Along

Foodie BlogRoll

Followers