Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Gooflop



The NY Times has a feature in the Sunday magazine every month or so called “Recipe Redux”. They will reprint a recipe from (sometimes) many years ago and then do an update with a prominent NYC chef. It’s quite interesting and leads me to today’s posting.

Our old friend, David, gave us this family recipe 25 or so years ago. It’s basically sloppy joe mix, but done in a fashion that’s super quick. Peter and I think we made it once long, long ago. Having some miscellaneous cuts of beef on hand I got a hankering for a sloppy joe. Here’s David’s super quick version followed by my take on the idea. The name is David’s old family moniker. He probably told us where it came from, but who remembers that far back?

Gooflop
1 lb. ground beef – browned
Mix together:
2/3 cup catsup
2 tbsp vinegar
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp mustard

Simmer mixture 5 minutes, add beef, serve on hamburger rolls.

Gooflop Redux
1 tbsp olive oil
¼ large red onion, chopped
1 lb. ground beef – made from whole cuts
1/3 cup catsup
6 oz. tomato sauce
1 heaping tbsp tomato paste
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp Dijon mustard
½ jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
1 clove garlic, minced
1/3 cup low salt V-8 or tomato juice

Heat olive oil in a skillet. Add onion and cook for 3 minutes. Add beef and brown well.

Add all remaining ingredients, bring to a simmer and cook uncovered until thickened, about 30 minutes.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh I would so eat Gooflop!!! That's really not what I thought it was going to be when you told me what you are making, but it still sounds weird! LOL I love "sloppy joes".. I'm going to try this for sure! I love that you give the old recipe and the redux recipe too!

Blog Archive

Tuesday Tag-Along

Tuesday Tag-Along

Foodie BlogRoll

Followers