Tuesday, July 20, 2010

The Spam and Velveeta Fajita







I love the alliteration of the title!

I got this idea a few days while bantering about food via email exchanges. In Denver I’m known for doing whacky things with Spam. I happen to like Spam, but rarely eat it. I know, I know, some of you are figuratively looking down your noses at me right now. Takes this as an edible spoof, which is exactly what it is intended to be.

I kept telling Peter the main ingredients were to be secret. Finally, just before starting to cook, I spilled the beans. Turns out he absolutely loved it.

Our weather is so hot right now that I debated about doing this. On the other hand, the majority of ingredients are the condiments – at room temperature. So I made my decision to proceed.

I recommend the cast iron skillet because then you serve it in a manner very much like a Mexican restaurant.

This calls for a limerick.

There is a great thing known as Spam,
Which can stand in quite well for some ham.
Add to it: Velveeta,
Tortilla or pita.
Jalapeno will give it some wham.

The Spam and Velveeta Fajita (for 2)
1 12 oz. can Spam
1 6 oz box Velvetta, diced
sour cream
1/2 green bell pepper, cut into strips
½ medium red onion, sliced
1 ½ avocados
1 small tomato, chopped fine
½ tsp garlic powder
lime juice
salt and pepper
lettuce, shredded
1 jalapeno, unseeded, sliced into super thin rounds
1 tbsp olive oil
4 (or more) flour tortillas

Slice the Spam lengthwise into ¼” slabs.

Heat a pan of water to the boiling point. Turn off the heat and drop the Spam into the water. Let stand 10 minutes. Remove Spam and allow to cool. Cut across into ¼” batons.

Put the sour cream into a small bowl.

Mash the avocado with some lime juice, salt and pepper. Stir in chopped tomato. Put the avocado, lettuce, jalapeno, Velveeta, and the bowl of sour cream onto a suitably large platter. Take it to the dinner table and place it where your companion and you can both easily reach it.

Heat the olive oil at medium in a cast iron skillet. Add onion and bell pepper and sprinkle with a little salt and pepper. Saute until just softened, 3-4 minutes. Add batons, increase heat to medium high and toss the mixture until the Spam begins to color. Take the pan directly to the table and place it on a trivet.

While the Spam cooks, wrap 4 tortillas in a kitchen towel. Microwave for 30 seconds.

Sit down, assemble, and eat.

6 comments:

Bo said...

Spam is one of those things...well I just have terrible memories of it...maybe I should try it again.

Unknown said...

You should enter this recipe in a Spam contest. They giveaway big prizes.

Andrea the Kitchen Witch said...

Spam and velveeta? I was shocked to read the title Stephen :) but it looks really quite good!! I agree with Linda, you should enter this in a SPAM recipe contest!

Mhel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mhel said...

I actually loooove Spam. I dont know why others hated it.... Stumbled upon and following you now through Tues Tag Along. Glad to meet a fellow foodie! Hope you could drop by, say hi, and follow... Have a good day!

Unknown said...

Well well well.. I knew you'd have success with it!!! YAY!! I would never look down my nose at you for like spam..my grandma use to make us spam sandwiches all the time! And you know my love for velveeta. These sound so good!!! I love it!

Blog Archive

Tuesday Tag-Along

Tuesday Tag-Along

Foodie BlogRoll

Followers